Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Breaking My Own Rules


I've always followed a strict NO CHRISTMASING UNTIL AFTER THANKSGIVING policy, but last night I took my first bath alone since Edie was born and the solitude must have gotten to my head, because I found myself choosing Christmas radio on Pandora. Bing Crosby started singing to me, and suddenly I was all in to this whole idea I've been so totally against my whole life. 

For most of my life I've enjoyed the anticipation of something exciting just as much or more than the actual exciting event, even down to silly things like saving my favorite thing on my plate until I've eaten everything else. I've never understood why everyone wants to rush from one Christmas to the next, why it seems like stores put out their holiday stuff earlier every year, but this year I get it. Sure, the decorations and the warm food and the lights and the gifts are fun, but it's the hope they represent we're all yearning for. Everyone seems a little nicer during Christmas--everything seems a little more magical. And since this year has been particularly tough for me, I'm feeling the need for that hope earlier than I usually do. Life is hard, you guys.

So I'm dreaming of all kinds of things for the holiday season and new year, including changes to this space. Is there anything in particular you'd like to read/see? Your feelings mean so much to me!




No comments:

Post a Comment