Friday, October 3, 2014

A Love Letter to Myself to Read A Year from Now


Jordan,

Lately I've been waking up early--nesting is in full swing--but I spend most of the day trying to figure out what else I can do that I didn't already do yesterday.  Sometimes I clean the floor, again, for the third day in a row.  I can't wait for my little one to be here to demand all of my time, because I'm starting to feel a little crazy.  

I can't imagine what you've been through in the last year.  I'm praying you'll remember it through lots of blissful moments with Daniel and the babe.  I'm praying you had your natural birth and she came out pink and wailing, ready to make herself known.  I'm praying breastfeeding worked early on and is still in full swing. I'm also praying that when you read this, if you're feeling tempted to fall into a dark place as you exhaustedly anticipate your child's first birthday, you'll remember how you ached to meet her one year ago.  Remember how in those last weeks everything made you cry because you felt so anxious about waiting for an unknown day and time. Remember how Daniel rubbed your feet with lavender night after night and asked her when she was coming, how he'd tell her he couldn't wait to see her and you'd watch him watch your belly dance with an overwhelming swell of love in your chest.

I pray that love for him has only increased as you've learned to work this tiny human into your lives.  In case you need a reminder, you promised one another to do everything you could to not lose sight of your relationship. When he comes home today, kiss him for real.

When I look back on how quickly this past year has gone and how absolutely overflowing with wonderful, unexpected twists it was, I know I have no idea what I'm in for in the next twelve months.  I hope you read that and laugh. And then maybe have a good happy cry, for how blessed you are that you get to see and feel the whole world all over again through the eyes and hands of a brand new little human being!


Jordan 

No comments:

Post a Comment