Friday, December 26, 2014

On the Anniversary of Our Engagement


Daniel got down on one knee in my childhood backyard and asked me to marry him two years ago tonight. He proposed the day after Christmas because he figured I'd expect it Christmas eve or Christmas day (he was right).  

This year he got down on one knee and proposed to me again while I was nursing our daughter. This time he slipped a vintage opal ring on my finger--opal is Edie's birthstone. 

The truth is it's really easy to forget to be married while trying to figure out how to take care of a new tiny human.  Throughout my pregnancy we repeatedly made a promise to keep actively pursuing one another after baby girl was born, but when I'm waking to feed her for half an hour or longer every two hours or less and he has to get up early to go to work, it kind of somehow makes sense for one of us to sleep on the couch. And when Daniel gets home from work right at the beginning of Edie's fussy/cling-to-mommy time, finding a moment to connect before bed kind of slips our minds. So even though he was mostly being silly by re-proposing, seeing my husband down on one knee again brought me back to how I felt that night two years ago, full of so much hope for our marriage and ready to take on the rest of my life by Daniel's side.

I love my daughter more than I can explain, but I love my husband more.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment