Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Reflections on Our First Month of Marriage & Jordan's Gift Guide: Husbands!


Daniel and I have been doing this whole marriage thing for a month as of yesterday! What a sweet, sweet month it's been.  Monday night we spent a couple of hours reflecting on what we've learned in this first month over a bowl of pumpkin ice cream.  I'm so thankful for a man who is willing to sit and talk with me like that.  Here are a few things we came up with:


1. Marriage is a PRIVILEGE.
We don't deserve to be so unconditionally loved by someone else or by the God who created us, but somehow we are and it is so, so wonderful.

2. Loving is a CHOICE.
Daniel did not want to get up and run with me in the mornings during our first week of marriage, but he did it because he loves me. Rising early to run through the neighborhood while it's still cold and dark has become one of the sweetest parts of our daily routine, and I so appreciate him making the choice to get into the habit with me.

3. Say you're sorry sooner rather than later.
It's going to happen eventually--you'll be crawling into bed next to this person in mere minutes or hours.  Be humble so you can have more time to just enjoy each other before going to sleep and spending all day apart at work.

4.  You're on the same team.
Act like it. Don't talk badly about your spouse, even if you're joking.  Words of affirmation go a long way.  Cheer each other on.

5.  Make friends with other couples.
Our young marrieds small group has been a HUGE support to us in our first month of marriage.  We're able to share struggles and relate to one another in such a special way.

6.  It's okay to do your own thing.
Every once in a while.  Spending time with friends without one another is good for us, and it makes getting home to each other even sweeter!

7. Get comfortable being naked.
I mean this physically and emotionally.  Don't try to hide yourself from one another.  This person married you--he thinks you're smart and beautiful.  Let him know you.

8. Have some manners.
I'm not talking about farting in bed versus not farting in bed (but since we're on the subject--don't fart in bed!).  I mean say "please" and "thank you."  Don't slave drive one another, and express your appreciation when your spouse helps or serves you.

9.  It's going to take a while to adjust.
I still sit down to eat dinner every night and look at my phone to see how long we have until Daniel needs to head home.  Not sure when it'll feel one hundred percent okay for Daniel to sleep over and for us to have sexy time, but we aren't quite there yet!

10. Pray together.
For your marriage, and for everything else.  Pray for one another, and pray for yourself.


These are just a few things we've taken away from this very quick first month.  We are loving being married, but we know we aren't experts!

----------

Since I'm letting you in on a few things my husband and I are learning, I figured today would be a good day to share husband gift ideas :)



1. Monthly Beer Subscription--Beer of the Month Club
2. Weekend Getaway--Devil's Den State Park
3. Craftsman Tool Box--Sears
4. Kinfolk Magazine Subscription--Kinfolk
5. Sound System--Amazon
6. Minnetonka Slippers--Minnetonka
7. Two Person Tent--Amazon


I'm still trying to sort my thoughts out on Daniel's gift(s) for this year.  Normally I would've caved and given his presents to him by this point, but the wedding was a good distraction in that case.  But I have today off and he doesn't, so I'm thinking about running around to make some decisions on what I'm getting him.  He's my favorite person to shop for!

We're headed to Tulsa tonight to stay with my dad and brother for Thanksgiving.  I hope you all have safe travels and the best time enjoying family and friends!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment