Monday, February 17, 2014

DIY Back Drop Stand

This past weekend I helped throw a surprise birthday party for my sister-in-law and it turned out awesome! I did try to whip up this DIY before the party so we could have a photo booth but unfortunately I didn't get the back drop done in time---I'll post more on that later.

This DIY is the easiest project I have ever done and I am excited to get a lot of use out of it! It's going to be short and sweet because it takes about 30 minutes to get the materials in the store and about 15 minutes to put it together!

In your local hardware store, head to the area that houses the PVC pipes---it will be with all the different drain and pipe things. At Lowe's there were 20 ft PVC pipes in two different styles--I went with the heavier of the two with a 1in. diameter so there would be less bend. It cost around $6. 

I went and found a friendly Lowe's worker and he cut the pipes to the sizes shown below.

I also grabbed 2 elbows, 4 T-connectors, 4 end caps and 2 clamps to help clamp fabric for the back drop---make sure to get the same size as the diameter of your pipe so they fit!


When connecting it all together I started with the top and worked my down. I had to stand it up to get the last bottom piece that creates a base for it to balance. The elbows are to connect one of the 5' posts to the 3'3'' pieces to create the top half. Two T-connectors are to connect the other 5' post to create a middle horizontal beam for stability. The last 3'3'' posts come out of the bottom of that same T-connector. At the end of these 3'3'' posts place another T-connector with the 2' pipes coming out either side for a base. Place the caps on all the ends of the 2' pipes. 




TA-DA! The best part is you can completely break it down, take it anywhere, and hang any type of back drop on it! You can also cut the pipes to any size to customize the back drop to your needs.
This stand measures 7ft tall and 5 feet wide. 

You will see my first back drop shortly :) 

Have fun creating, and please let me know if you have any questions!

-N




No comments:

Post a Comment