Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tart and Sweet Raspberry Pie Recipe

Once upon a time I was a little girl, and then I baked a pie (one of the ugliest pies I've ever seen, but it was a pie).  Now, now I am a woman.

Just kidding.  But I did feel just a little victorious on Friday when Daniel and I cut into this tart, yummy goodness.  He called it "award winning."  I know he was just being sweet, but I'm clinging to the ghost of the compliment. :) Plus, it WAS delicious!

I'm not sure where my fear of pie-baking stems from--for some reason I've held it up as an art I could not master.  Especially with gluten free crust.  But! The crust may have been my favorite part--I substituted coconut oil where the GF crust recipe I found called for butter and it gave it just the right hint of sweetness. 

And the fresh raspberries I picked up from our local Farmers Market--YES.


Gluten Free Raspberry Pie

Ingredients:

DOUGH:
2 1/2 cups all purpose GF flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 large eggs
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

FILLING:
2 pints fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup GF flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil

Instructions:

1. Prepare the dough first.  Mix dry ingredients.
2. Melt coconut oil and mix into dry ingredients.
3. Whisk together eggs and apple cider vinegar.
4. Add to dry ingredients and roll dough into a ball.
5. Refrigerate for one hour.
6.  Remove from fridge, let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before rolling and placing in pie baking dish/pan.
7. In another bowl, mix all filling ingredients except berries and coconut oil.
8. Add berries and mix well. Pour into pie crust.
9.  Gently spread coconut oil over top of pie.
10. Top with top crust, if desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
12.  Remove from fridge and place in oven for 20 minutes.
13.  Lower temp to 350 degrees and let bake for 30-40 more minutes, until crust is golden.
14. Remove from oven and top with your favorite vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt and enjoy!


Happy baking!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment