Monday, May 12, 2014

Roxy Graduates


For the past 8 weeks I have taken Roxy girl to Courteous Obedient Educated Dogs (COEDS) training class and today she graduated!


She has gotten a lot better at sit, down, stay, come, leave-it, and loose leash walking. She is still an ornery puppy but she has the basics down and now I just need to be consistent and implement the skills in real-life situations. 

I really recommend any type of positive reward training for your dogs. In my life, I never want to have outside only dogs. Why would you need to keep your dogs outside all the time if you can train them to know how to behave inside? I'm not saying it doesn't take a lot of time and work, because it does but I want to be able to enjoy my dogs to the fullest and in return they will be happier, healthier, better-behaved dogs. 

I also believe having a well trained dog could potentially save their life. Coming when called and staying when they need too will definitely limit and avoid dangerous situations. This is probably the biggest reason I have for wanting my dogs to be trained. 


Another reason I am focusing on training my pups at this time is because at some point Kyle and I will have little ones and I want my babies and my dogs to be able to co-exist. I have heard so many stories of people having to get rid of their pets when they have kids because they do not react well or are not trained well enough to be around the kids. I've made a commitment to my pups to give them a forever home and I intend to keep it.

-N

No comments:

Post a Comment